[Lowfer] ARRL Letter, VLF

William Cantrell QA0057@email.mot.com
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:43:13 -0600

Hi Andre',
Sounds like you would fit nicely into our little group of experimenters.  We are
primarily a group of electrical engineers, physicists, and technicians, who have
fled ham radio to get back to "real" experimentation.  Many of us do "radio" for
a living too.

I find it a little puzzling that your experimenters are bunched together in
northern Va.  That puts you all in the square-law region for propagation with
respect to each other.  Not much of a challenge for 1 watt, not to mention 200
watts.  Wouldn't you want to spread things out a little by utilizing your other
members?  (We are doing > 150 miles, 24 hours a day, year round, with only 4 mW
ERP.)

Concerning the Maxwell's Equations, yes, they are fun.  Weber had an interesting
alternative to Maxwell's Equations, based on Instantaneous Action At a Distance
(IAAD), that is of merit.  It looks to me like the vector magnetic potential, A,
should have been used rather than the magnetic flux density, B, in the Maxwell's
Equations.  "A" is a better candidate for reality than "B", and it simplifies
most problems immensely.  Petr Beckmann and Oleg Jefimenko have written
excellent books on the topic.

--
Regards,
Bill Cantrell