News From Lake Canyon

David Borden dborden@gvtc.com
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:21:52 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01BF9CB7.2C479460

Canyon Lake:  Where the men just don't get it, the women have had it all =
along, the children all try to get away with major crime and the cats =
are in charge.  (I was going to apologize to Garrison Keller, but why?  =
I'll just rip him off.  Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of =
flattery)

Hi All,

  Well the Bordens spent last week getting the house ready for sale.  It =
was a lot of work.  Deborah worked continuously except for the times =
instructing David what to scrub, paint, mud, tape, wipe, replace,screw, =
rivit, nail, or scape next.  We (David, Deborah, and one very mad cat - =
Chaplan) finally got out of the house and on the road Thursday about =
5PM.  I will spare you the story of how Chaplan got into the cage.  It =
was not pretty.  We drove a while and collapsed in some motel.  We =
called the realtor ladies' answering machine and told her to place the =
house on the market on Friday.  She had already put the new computerized =
lockbox on the house that day.  The kids promised to mow the lawn on =
Saturday.  We expected to get a house sale nibble in maybe a week or so.

  After driving forever, with one more motel stop, we arrived in Texas =
on Saturday afternoon.  This was when I was reminded that Texas is b i =
g.  We were not home yet.  We entered Texas in the North East corner and =
had to travel to below the capital, Austin.  Of course as with all trips =
to Texas, storms and tornados were forcast.  Sure enough around Austin =
we are attacked by hail, rain, and continuous lightning.  We hid under =
an overpass and waited it out.  The cat was not amused (neither were =
we). I am talking
from my car to Deborah's car with walkie talkies but Deborah is not =
responding much.  I find out this is because she is on the cellphone =
with realtor lady who has three contracts in hand and a fourth due =
Saturday morning.  The kids report while they were trying to clear out =
of the yard after mowing, three couples saw the house.  The second =
couple loved it and the third couple were planning adding a two car =
garage and putting new siding on the house.  Wow, Harry Kaye had said =
that the house would sell in hours, not weeks.  He was right.  I thought =
y'all would be interested in house markets in the MD-VA-DC area.  You =
know it is a seller's market, but you ain't seen nothin yet!

  So it is Sunday and realtor reports we now have five contracts =
(remember, the house went on the MLS computer on Friday morning).  Our =
asking price was 275K, here are the bidders:

#1 307K
20%down, 7K at closing
No loan qualification furnished
Comment - Nice high price but no proof this couple has the ability to =
borrow.  Negative on this one.

#2 285K
5%down
2nd Trust 15%=20
They pre-qualify for the first and second
But, they want Home Inspection and Radon Inspection (VA law requires =
termite and septic check)
Comment - Nice price and good proof of borrowing, but don't need =
Inspections followed by costly repairs.  Negative on this one.

#3 280K
Borrowing 224K at 8-8.5%. =20
Lender provided letter stating they have qualified, no problem.
28 April settlement
Comment - This is the one.  No contingencies (we had to swear we did not =
know there was any lead based paint in the house).
Positive on this one.  Realtor faxed the contract.  We signed in 6 =
places, initial in 14 places and faxed it back.  New neighbor Rich (a =
surveyor) let us use his fax machine.  Thanks Rich!

#4 275K
28 April settlement
Wants Home Inspection and Radon check
Comment - Do not need home inspections and radon checks.  This leads to =
more repairs.  Negative on this one.

#5 275K
15 May settlement
140K down
Wants Home Inspection
No proof of borrowing ability, but promised today for sure.
Comment - Do not need home inspections.  Borrowing proof is too late.  =
Lowest price.  Negative on this one.

    Note there are some choices here.  We could wait a few days to see =
if some more offers dribble in after Sunday showing.  Life is full of =
trade offs.  We went with offer number 3.

    So we are now waiting for the moving truck which arrives Monday at =
10AM.  Deborah and I will then try to shove the contents of a very large =
house into the space of a small house.  I will go into work on Tuesday =
and continue programming and documenting on my mapping job.  Also need =
to help prepare response to the new ETSS task that was issued after the =
last one was called back.

     And that's the news from Canyon Lake.  Canyon Lake is sorta half =
way between Austin and San Antonio in the Texas Hill Country.  It is =
noted for tubing (riding down the river in a big truck inner tube) on =
the Guadalupe River and boating/fishing on the lake.  Other local places =
of note are New Brunsfels, Wimberely, San Marcos, and Greune.  I don't =
think they spoke English around here until 1945 (just German).....david =
and deborah

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01BF9CB7.2C479460

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Canyon Lake:&nbsp; Where the men just =
don't get it,=20
the women have had it all along, the children all try to get away with =
major=20
crime and the cats are in charge.&nbsp; (I was going to apologize to =
Garrison=20
Keller, but why?&nbsp; I'll just rip him off.&nbsp; Remember, imitation =
is the=20
sincerest form of flattery)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi All,</FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; Well the Bordens spent last week =
getting the=20
house ready for sale.&nbsp; It was a lot of work.&nbsp; Deborah worked=20
continuously except for the times instructing David what to scrub, =
paint, mud,=20
tape, wipe, replace,screw, rivit, nail, or scape next.&nbsp; We (David, =
Deborah,=20
and one very mad cat - Chaplan) finally got out of the house and on the =
road=20
Thursday about 5PM.&nbsp; I will spare you the story of how Chaplan got =
into the=20
cage.&nbsp; It was not pretty.&nbsp; We drove a while and collapsed in =
some=20
motel.&nbsp; We called the realtor ladies' answering machine and told =
her to=20
place the house on the market on Friday.&nbsp; She had already put the =
new=20
computerized lockbox on the house that day.&nbsp; The kids promised to =
mow the=20
lawn on Saturday.&nbsp; We expected to get a house sale nibble in maybe =
a week=20
or so.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; After driving forever, with one =
more motel=20
stop, we arrived in Texas on Saturday afternoon.&nbsp; This was when I =
was=20
reminded that Texas is b i g.&nbsp; We were not home yet.&nbsp; We =
entered Texas=20
in the North East corner and had to travel to below the capital, =
Austin.&nbsp;=20
Of course as with all trips to Texas, storms and tornados were =
forcast.&nbsp;=20
Sure enough around Austin we are attacked by hail, rain, and continuous=20
lightning.&nbsp; We hid under an overpass and waited it out.&nbsp; The =
cat was=20
not amused (neither were we). I am talking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>from my car to Deborah's car with =
walkie talkies=20
but Deborah is not responding much.&nbsp; I find out this is because she =
is on=20
the cellphone with realtor lady who has three contracts in hand and a =
fourth due=20
Saturday morning.&nbsp; The kids report while they were trying to clear =
out of=20
the yard after mowing, three couples saw the house.&nbsp; The second =
couple=20
loved it and the third couple were planning adding a two car garage and =
putting=20
new siding on the house.&nbsp; Wow, Harry Kaye had said that the house =
would=20
sell in hours, not weeks.&nbsp; He was right.&nbsp; I thought y'all =
would be=20
interested in house markets in the MD-VA-DC area.&nbsp; You know it is a =

seller's market, but you ain't seen nothin yet!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; So it is Sunday and realtor =
reports we now=20
have five contracts (remember, the house went on the MLS computer on =
Friday=20
morning).&nbsp; Our asking price was 275K, here are the =
bidders:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>#1 307K</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>20%down, 7K at closing</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>No loan qualification =
furnished</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Comment - Nice high price but no proof =
this couple=20
has the ability to borrow.&nbsp; Negative on this one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>#2 285K</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>5%down</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2nd Trust 15% </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>They pre-qualify for the first and=20
second</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But, they want Home Inspection and =
Radon Inspection=20
(VA law requires termite and septic check)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Comment - Nice price and good proof of =
borrowing,=20
but don't need Inspections followed by costly repairs.&nbsp; Negative on =
this=20
one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>#3 280K</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Borrowing 224K at 8-8.5%.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Lender provided letter stating they =
have qualified,=20
no problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>28 April settlement</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Comment - This is the one.&nbsp; No =
contingencies=20
(we had to swear we did not know there was any lead based paint in the=20
house).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Positive on this one.&nbsp; Realtor =
faxed the=20
contract.&nbsp; We signed in 6 places, initial in 14 places and faxed it =

back.&nbsp; New neighbor Rich (a surveyor) let us use his fax =
machine.&nbsp;=20
Thanks Rich!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>#4 275K</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>28 April settlement</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wants Home Inspection and Radon =
check</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Comment - Do not need home inspections =
and radon=20
checks.&nbsp; This leads to more repairs.&nbsp; Negative on this=20
one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>#5 275K</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>15 May settlement</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>140K down</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wants Home Inspection</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>No proof of borrowing ability, but =
promised today=20
for sure.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Comment - Do not need home =
inspections.&nbsp;=20
Borrowing proof is too late.&nbsp; Lowest price.&nbsp; Negative on this=20
one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Note there are some =
choices=20
here.&nbsp; We could wait a few days to see if some more offers dribble =
in after=20
Sunday showing.&nbsp; Life is full of trade offs.&nbsp; We went with =
offer=20
number 3.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So we are now =
waiting for the=20
moving truck which arrives Monday at 10AM.&nbsp; Deborah and I will then =
try to=20
shove the contents of a very large house into the space of a small =
house.&nbsp;=20
I will go into work on Tuesday and continue programming and documenting =
on my=20
mapping job.&nbsp; Also need to help prepare response to the new ETSS =
task that=20
was issued after the last one was called back.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; And that's the =
news from=20
Canyon Lake.&nbsp; Canyon Lake is sorta half way between Austin and San =
Antonio=20
in the Texas Hill Country.&nbsp; It is noted for tubing (riding down the =
river=20
in a big truck inner tube) on the Guadalupe River and boating/fishing on =
the=20
lake.&nbsp; Other local places of note are New Brunsfels, Wimberely, San =
Marcos,=20
and Greune.&nbsp; I don't think they spoke English around here until =
1945 (just=20
German).....david and deborah</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01BF9CB7.2C479460--