LORAN C reference question

Frank Gentges fgentges@mindspring.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:28:27 -0400

Paul,

I set up a Loran C frequency reference system some years ago and it
worked well.

I could not use the RF waveform to check against as I received several
stations in the chain jumbled together and skywave changes over the day
would ruin any attempt to see a stable reference.

Instead, I took an automatic Loran C receiver and poked around inside
and found the master pulse which coincided with the start of the master
station pulse.  I brought that pulse out to an external connector.  Then
I got a Loran C timing generator, (al a hamfest) which consisted of a
handful of 7400 ICs which took in my 100 kHz frequency standard and
output the Loran C pulse rate for the chain I was on.  I then compared
the drift of the local pulses against the off the air pulses.  It worked
fine over several days time.  You can see skywave shifts during the day
so you have to wait and integrate the errors out.

I now use a GPS receiver with a 1 pps timing pulse output to compare
against a 1 pps generated by my local standard.  It is much more stable
and I can adjust the standard much more quickly.

Frank K0BRA