[Lf] Re: lf digest, Vol 1 #146 - 1 msg

Frank Gentges fgentges@mindspring.com
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:07:51 -0400

Vittorio et al,

I am hoping there is a free lunch out there in the compression schemes
that are becoming so common.  Your reply, another reply from David
Borden (AMRAD Texas), and my own experimentation lead me to believe that
MP3 is too speech specific and it does "strange things" to weak LF
signals.  I suspect the others to a lesser degree will also introduce
bad artifacts into the signal but also compress less.  "Less tasty and
less nutrition."

Doing a strong job of getting down to nyquist on a band narrowed signal
seems the most likely way to get there now.

Your suggestion of remotely computing the spectrogram and then
transmitting the "spectrum picture" had occurred to me.  For now I think
even reducing bandwidth to 200 Hz to meet our goals would give more
flexibility at the local site without losing the signal.

My current thinking is to use a 750 Hz BFO frequency.  Then filter the
audio data through a 600-900 Hz FIR bandpass filter to cut energy way
down, (60 db?) below 500 and above 1000 Hz.

Initially sample this audio at 2000 samples per second to go into the
digital FIR filter.  This is based on there being no energy above 1000
Hz to avoid that alias.

Then we have a 2000 samples per second rate of the output data stream of
the FIR. We take every other FIR output sample to achieve a 1000 sample
per second rate and throw the rest on the floor as they have no new
information.  We would have a mirror image alias on the other side of
500 Hz that would just be ignored or filtered out with a high pass
filter.

That gets us 16000 bits per second if we transmit 16 bit samples.  The
FIR filter may be a bit too much computation for a PC but I don't have
experience with that yet.

Any thoughts anyone?  Does this work?  Can we do it in background on a
486 "Dumpster Grade" Linux PC or should we build a dedicated filter?
Can the sound card be run at 2000 samples per second under Linux or do
we take every nth sample?

Thanks Vittorio for helping us kick the ball forward on this.

Frank