Virginia and mobile radios

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Fri Jan 21 16:24:34 CST 2005

Folks,
Though I shudder to think of politicizing amateur radio or this list in
any way, two items have come to my attention that I thought I should
share.

The following are under consideration in the Virginia General Assembly
and both would appear to criminalize the use of mobile radios. (I
haven't been able to locate a definition of "wireless communications
device.")

HB 1830/Use of certain wireless communication devices by operators of
motor vehicles/Parrish/Would provide that, except in certain emergency
situations, the operator of a moving motor vehicle is prohibited from
using any wireless communication device, unless the device is equipped
for hands-free operation and is being used as such. Referred to House
Committee on Transportation.

HB 1962/Use of certain wireless communication devices by operators of
motor vehicles/Dwight Clinton Jones/Would provide that, except in
certain emergency situations, the operator of a moving motor vehicle is
prohibited from using any wireless communication device, unless the
device is equipped for hands-free operation and is being used as such.
Referred to House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety.