DirecTV downconverter design

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 1 20:48:37 CST 2005

I upgraded my DirecTV setup at home to a dual block converter.  The
block converter is the little feed device that hangs out in front of the
dish and outputs a 1-2 GHz IF signal to the receiver in the house.

The old single block converter had done its job for several years and
was retired.  I could not help opening it up to see what was inside.

It has a bunch of surface mount and strip line circuitry on a little
gold plated PC board.  I recognize a voltage regulator, a quad op amp, a
555 timer, some chokes, a bandpass filter and some unrecognized strip
line patterns.

Does anyone have a block diagram or schematic diagram of this fine
example of microwave technology?  Perhaps a magazine article was written.

I am just downright curious.

Frank K0BRA