Space Day at Udvar Hazy Museum, Dulles

Iain McFadyen mcfadyenusa at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 11:51:25 CDT 2005

I will probably be spending my day at the Udvar-Hazy Museum on May 5. See below for details...
Iain   KI4HLV
****************************
AMSAT will be taking part in Space Day, Thursday,
May 5 at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy
Center near Dulles Airport.  Hours are 10 AM - 2 PM for
student groups, 2 - 4 PM for the general public, and
4 - 9 PM for families.  Parking will be free that day.

We will have tables set up in the Space Hangar around the OSCAR
satellite display-case so we can explain how hams build and
operate satellites.  We'll show CalPoly's Cubesat model and
other small satellite hardware, and we will also talk
about OSCAR 1 and PCSat located in the display-case.

We are hoping to have members of the ARISS team explain
ARISS and Naval Academy people explain PCSat.

If you haven't yet seen the new Space Hangar at the Udvar-Hazy
Center, May 5 is a perfect opportunity.  The Museum is open to
9 PM that day so you can visit after work, and parking (normally
$12) is free.  It's also a chance to meet the Shuttle Return to
Flight astronauts and other VIP's.

Perry, W3PK

Here is further information from the Air and Space Museum's
website
http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/eventDetail.cfm?eventID=298

NASM Events for May 5, 2005
Family Day

SPACE DAY
Thursday, May 05
10:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Throughout Museum
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Admission: Free

What is it like to live in space? How do the Mars Rovers work?
How can I become an astronaut?

This action-packed celebration explores the past, present,
and future of space exploration and the role today's youth
will play in tomorrow's space missions.

Throughout the day visitors can talk with astronauts who achieved
fame in the early years of space exploration and to those preparing
for the upcoming missions. Discovery Stations let visitors examine
Space Station, why we plan a return to the moon, and how these
steps will contribute to an eventual human mission to Mars.

With the Apollo era artifacts and the Space Shuttle Enterprise
as focal points, visitors can learn about the technology used to
reach the moon the first time and what is needed to return. Explore
lunar geography, the phases of the moon, living and working in space
and the important role robots have played in exploring the moon,
Mars, and beyond.

For the first time, Space Day will expand into the evening with a
program showcasing interactive exhibits, book signings, musical
entertainment and activities presented by the National Air and
Space Museum, NASA, Lockheed Martin and other organizations.

Visitors can enter to win two all-expense paid trips for one child
ages 7-12 and a parent to Family Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama,
a Bushnell North Star Telescope or round trip airline tickets
courtesy of Independence Air.

Visit SpaceDay.org for a full itinerary of the day\'s activities.

This event sponsored by:
Lockheed Martin

Note: EXTENDED EVENING HOURS AND FREE PARKING ALL DAY!

Driving directions to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Udvar-Hazy Center Floorplan

Related Links:
Space Day - Space-related educational events and activities
----
Via the amsat-dc mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
",0]);//-->the future of space exploration - the role of the International

http://mail.yahoo.com