Hey BPL, try to compete with this!

Frank Gentges metavox at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 12:33:54 CDT 2005

The State of Texas has provided authority to the wireline companies of
SBC and Verizon to compete with the cable companies for delivering
television to the homes.

If they go ahead and do this, they will be providing some really serious
digital bandwidth to the home.  I must assume that Internet connections
can go along with this.

BPL will be left choking on their dust because they cannot get this kind
of bandwidth on a power line.

I think the bandwidth log jam of the past few years may be breaking up.
  The wireline companies are getting competition from wireless cell
phones and cable Internet VOIP so they must become lean, mean, and
aggressive to protect their investments and it looks like they are doing
this in Texas.

See

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/shared/tx/legislature/stories/05/23telecom.html

for more detail on the legislation.