evolving role of ham radio in a disaster

hal hfeinstein at cox.net
Mon Sep 5 20:19:28 CDT 2005

I think its pretty clear from Andre's message that hams will have to lean
how to work with helicopters under various conditions.  Strobes seem
to be used to guide helicopters to landing sites, probably color coded
stobes to aviod
confusion..  A well developed doctrine must already exist and perhaps it
should be included
in the ARRL or other organization's emergency eduction material.

BTW I spun through the various disaster frequencies yesterday but found
only chit-chatting hams on 80.  40 was dead and so was everything above that
except 20 where I found the maritime mobile net working as usual.   Anyone
else had a different listening experience?

PS  I found so much rf junk noise within my house that I actually shut
off the
main house power and put the hf receiver on local batteries.  Turning
off house power
allowed me to hear the hf bands pretty well.  Suppose I coun't shut off
the rf so easily?

--h

--h.