Spam ? - 2764 EPROMS

John Teller jsteller at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 3 16:03:54 CDT 2005

Don't worry about being locked out of a 2764!  Code protection fuses are a component of a microcontroller that has ROM (be it masked ROM, EPROM, Flash, EEPROM or what have you) built in.

Any kind of EPROM programmer you can find will handle a 2764 - including the creaky old ones that will actually work with a serial port.  The problem with these is that they are hardly ever supported any more, and their software wants to run on a 486DX DOS PC!

For $350, the EMP-11 by Needhams electronics (www.needhams.com) uses the PC parallel port, and is a lot faster than a serial port.  There are also < $100.00 programmers out there that will work just fine http://www.progshop.com/shop/programmer/index.shtml

The newer ones will talk to the PC via USB, and are very nice indeed.

Make sure you get one that comes with free software upgrades, or at least free database updates.

--- JST