whats this all about

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.NET
Sat Oct 22 09:00:41 CDT 2005

On Oct 22, 2005, at 09:21, riese-k3djc at juno.com wrote:

>   http://www.pridenation.com/gbox/stats.htm     Bob k3DJC

I don't know about "Proud TV", but the Akimbo technology uses a set-
top box that presents streaming video content from the Internet. I
knew of a few niche programmers experimenting with this sort of
technology right now, but I wasn't aware of any package programmers
bundling a range of content services until now. You deploy a
proprietary set-top box at home, and receive your video programming
over your broadband connection. I expect you'll see more of this as
things like Verizon's FIOS service are rolled out.

On the single-user side, one of the more interesting analogs to this
is a thing called the Slingbox, which will stream your inputs (cable/
DVD/etc.) to a PC, and apparently (according to some of my home
satellite hobbyist cohorts) has a spiffy adaptive codec that adjusts
well to changing bandwidth/latency conditions. Sony has a thing
called LocationFree TV, which does the same to either handheld TV's,
the Playstation Portable, or a PC. From what I've heard LocationFree
is using MPEG2 for inter-device local streams, and MPEG4 AVC for
cross-Internet PC streaming. Current word on the street is that
Sony's Internet transmissions are not ready for prime time (no pun
intended).

All of these devices have IR blasters so that you can remotely
control your A/V hardware over the Internet with the appropriate
client software, for channel changing, etc.

If you don't want hardware at all, look on the Internet for a package
called VLC or VideoLanClient. It is accreting features every day and
is probably the Swiss Army knife of streaming video software. It
tends to want as much CPU as you care to let it have.

--Bob