OT: International Education Week: Event at TJ High School (More info)

Iain McFadyen mcfadyenusa at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 10:58:14 CST 2005

November 10, 2005

Elvia H. Thompson Headquarters, Washington
(202) 358-1696

Jane Glickman or Stephanie Babyak
U.S. Department of Education, Washington
(202) 401-1576

Joan K. Ozdogan
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, Alexandria, Va.
(703) 750-8317

HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS TALK LIVE WITH SPACE STATION CREW

In recognition of International Education Week, International Space
Station crewmembers William S. McArthur, Jr., and Valery I. Tokarev will
speak to students during a live television event at Thomas Jefferson High
School for Science and Technology (TJHSST), 6560 Braddock Road,
Alexandria, Va., on Tuesday, Nov. 15.
NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale and U.S. Secretary of Education
Margaret Spellings will participate in the live downlink from Expedition
12, which begins at 9:30 a.m. EST. Media representatives are invited to
attend.
International Education Week, Nov. 14-18, is a joint initiative of the
U.S. Departments of Education and State. This year, the theme is
International Education: Improving Student Achievement Around the World.
Established in 1895, TJHSST is dedicated to excellence in science,
mathematics, and technology education. The school serves nearly 1800
students from six Northern Virginia school districts and has a strong
foreign language program. Three of the questions posed to the space
station crew by the students will be in Russian.
The event will be broadcast live on NASA-TV and Fairfax County Public
Schools Red Apple 21 to all TJHSST students and to students in 240
Northern Virginia schools as well as more than 250,000 home viewers.
Fairfax County Public Schools/Fairfax Networks is also providing direct
access to the program via satellite to interested school systems across
the country. Students around the world will be able to watch the downlink
via NASA's website.

NASA TV's Public, Education and Media channels are available on an MPEG-2
digital C-band signal accessed via satellite AMC-6, at 72 degrees west
longitude, transponder 17C, 4040 MHz, vertical polarization. In Alaska
and Hawaii, they're on AMC-7 at 137 degrees west longitude, transponder
18C, at 4060 MHz, horizontal polarization. A Digital Video Broadcast
compliant Integrated Receiver Decoder is required for reception.

NASA's Teaching From Space Office coordinates downlinks for the agency.
The office is part of NASA's education programs designed to inspire the
next generation of leaders and explorers, and engage them through the
Vision for Exploration.

News media representatives who wish to cover this event and a media
availability following the downlink with Deputy Administrator Dale,
Secretary Spellings, Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent Jack
Dale, and TJHSST Principal Elizabeth V. Lodal, must be in place no later
than 9 a.m. EST

For more information about NASA's programs on the Internet, visit:
http://www.nasa.gov/home
For more information about International Education Week on the Internet,
visit:
http://www.iew.state.gov/statements/sec_education.htm/