Current meter shunts

Roger Geesey rg213st at covad.net
Fri Nov 18 13:01:35 CST 2005

Surface mount chips are available in milliOhm resistance values suitable for shunts.
See:
NewarkInOne Part Number 07J6225
LRF2512-01-R025FTR  INTERNATIONAL RESISTIVE
Thick Film Resistor Series:LRF; Resistance:0.025Ohm; Resistance
Tolerance:+/- 1 %; Power Rating:2W; Temperature Coefficient:+/-100 ppm;
Package/Case:2512; Terminal Type:PCB Surface Mount; Mounting
Type:Surface Mount; Packaging:Cut Tape  $1.22  Quantity 1.

I've seen some 5, 10, 15 milliOhm parts at 1 Watt also, such as Digi-Key Part Number P15CT-ND.
Thick film construction yields low inductance.  The 2512 size makes easy parallel or series combining for lower temperatures.

Will Temco of 100 ppm work for you? (amounting to 1/2% with 50 C temp change).

73
Roger