FW: [BPLandHamRadio] BPL News from India

Paul Rinaldo prinaldo at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 10 08:16:53 CST 2005

Gang, FYI. Paul

From: BPLandHamRadio at yahoogroups.com on behalf of Stephen Newlyn
Sent: Sat 12/10/2005 1:44 AM
To: BPLandHamRadio at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BPLandHamRadio] BPL News from India

>From WIANEWS 11 December 2005 Edition

We understand December 2 saw Department of Information Technology, Govt. of
India hold a meeting of power utilities which discussed and  looked at
evolving an Indian pilot project on BPL.

 Mr. Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD writing in vuhams noted how he had  " believed
BPL was the best thing for getting broadband into remote places, until I saw
those studies and video from ARRL. So, I feel, it is just that the Ministry
is ignorant of the whole issue. Even if they are not, we are very likely to
fail, Intel and other companies have billions of dollars to play with and we
have none".

 VU3RDD has called on the national body ARSI to confront the Government on
the BPL issue in the sub-continent.

 Atanu Dasgupta VU2ATN attended the meeting and as a ham I expressed serious
concern with all present.

 VU2ATN says " If you have walked through the streets of Kolkata, Delhi,
Bangalore, Chennai etc you would have seen the pathetic state of affairs
with the existing electricity distribution system.

 The uncouth configuration of the distribution system which will allow every
kink, twist and joint on it to radiate RF in the HF region jeopardising all
sorts of communication in that range in particular.

 Therefore in order to usher in the era of BPL in India , more than
technology  what is important as a pre-requisite  is sanitising Indian
distribution system.

 The cost of BPL is not only spending on technology and copying projects in
western countries but also investment on sanitising the existing
infrastructure.

 Who will do that in the VU2 land?

 Even if somebody wants to implement the system that way, is it practically
possible?

 The meeting was also attended by distribution utilities from Delhi,
Kolkata, Mumbai who we learn already are experimenting with pilot projects
in those
 cities.

 Surprisingly there was nobody from RF user groups.
 ( Atanu, VU2ATN )

*Save Shortwave! Eliminate Broadband over Power Lines!!!
**Stephen Newlyn, VK5VKA. G'day from the City of Elizabeth, South Australia.
***Visit the "Stop BPL" page
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~vk5vka/stopbpl.htm
****Visit my Home Page at http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~vk5vka/index.html

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM