IRLP

Randy Mays randy at randymays.com
Tue Dec 13 20:51:11 CST 2005

I checked the calendar and realized it's time for my annual holiday
message.

Things are going well here in Idaho.  We've gone several weeks now
without a recorded case of moose trampling, but hypothermia remains a
constant threat.

The one thing that helps get those of us left alive here through the
winters is contact with the outside world via ham radio.  Due to ice
storms, most HF antennas wind up as piles of twisted metal buried in
the snow.  Repeater coverage is limited.  Once you've talked to the
people in Pocatello, there's just Rexburg and they don't have that
much to say either.

The one bright shining plus sign in all this has been the IRLP node.
With it, we are able to speak to ham radio operators around the
world.  Many of these ham radio operators live in places where it is
warm, places that are a long way from Pocatello.

Contact with the Washington, DC area via IRLP is spotty at best.  I
remember several years ago there were rumors AMRAD might have an IRLP
node.  Whatever happened with that?

Regards, and Happy Holidays,

Randy

W6RAM