AMRAD LF Handbook project

Frank Gentges fgentges@mindspring.com
Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:20:34 -0400

Doug,

We are glad to get your message.  At AMRAD the current emphasis by many
of us is on LF communications as you may have seen on our web page.  We
are currently working on projects leading to an LF handbook that would
be published by ARRL for radio amateurs.  ARRL has petitioned the FCC
for LF allocations to be added to the amateur frequencies.  This
handbook would contribute to this direction.

Based on your background you may be able to contribute to this effort.
We have been looking at computer technology for several things:

1. Weak Signal spectral analysis and detection.  We have some good stuff
now with Spectran.  We could use someone to work on an MSK weak signal
program.  Maximum Likelihood detection would fit in here very nicely.

2. Antenna design based on 1960's reports.  We could use a computer
model based on these old reports. (We have the reports)

3.  LF Sky wave propagation based on curves etc.  We could use a
computer model based on this.  We have some pretty good non computer
data on this.

4.  Electrostatic and Magnetostatic Field plots.  We have been using
QuickField (www.quickfield.com) which is a finite element analysis
model.  We could use some help in using this and would be ecstatic to
find a model that would model 3 dimensional fields.  This looks pretty
hard to do and you will have to break out your Physics 101 and 102
books.

5.  A general purpose LF calculating program for complex impedances etc.
that will take care of complex math and decimal points for the DIYer at
home.  ARRL Radio Designer does this but we need a simpler, less
expensive program we could include with the CD ROM in the book.

Some of these may be more suitable for a school class or club group to
look into.

We have several other odds and ends.  You may have some thoughts and we
would like to hear them.
Any help on these from you or anyone else reading the mail reflectors
can be used.

Frank Gentges K0BRA