Enigma Machine to be activated for ham event

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Tue May 3 16:45:56 CDT 2005

This was put on the RX320 News group with thanks to
gi3obo for the info.  I suspect some Tacoistas would like to make this contact.

Frank K0BRA

ENIGMA MACHINE TO BE REACTIVATED AFTER 60 YEARS
In September 1939 the radio receivers of all radio amateurs were ordered
to be confiscated, but many amateurs volunteered to became Voluntary
Interceptors (V.I’s) in their own homes. These V.I’s intercepted
encrypted Enigma messages transmitted in Morse code which were passed to
the code breakers at Bletchley Park.
Accuracy was crucial in order to assist decoding of the message, but
many of the intercepted signals were weak or fading and atmospheric
conditions were often poor with QRM from loud local stations. Searching
through the bands was very painstaking, but it was a task that was
carried out with great skill and dedication, providing a most valuable
service to the Allies.
As a tribute to the work of the V.I’s sixty years ago the Scarborough
Special Events Group will be on the air as GB2HQ from GCHQ Scarborough
over the weekend of 7-8th May. A souvenir QSL card showing an Enigma
cipher machine and an HRO receiver will be issued to commemorate the
occasion.
Depending on your location, conditions may not be favourable for
reception on the day. However, in this respect, listeners will be
experiencing the same problems faced by the V.I’s some sixty years ago.
You are invited to take part in a practical demonstration of history
brought to life through amateur radio.
GCHQ have provided a working Enigma machine for use by the SSEG and
Ofcom have, exceptionally, given permission for transmission of an
enciphered Enigma message to be sent in Morse code on the amateur radio
bands, for this event only.
The group will be active on SSB, PSK and CW. The CW station will operate
around 7015 or 3515 KHz and the Enigma message will be transmitted in
Morse code at 1100 UTC on Saturday 7th May, at a speed of 15 wpm. The
message will consist of a few five letter groups, which will be repeated
at 1300 and 1900 UTC.
GCHQ invite all licenced amateurs and listeners to submit a copy of this
Enigma message and will award a certificate for a 100% accurate intercept. A
copy of this message should be sent via club call G0OOO (Scarborough
Special Events Group, 9 Green Island, Irton, Scarborough YO12 4RN) and
can be enclosed with a QSL card. The cost of the certificate is £3.00
sterling. 5 Euro's, US $5, or 6 IRC's. (UK cheques should be made out to
"SSEG"). All profits will be donated to GCHQ Scarborough Charities Fund. Tks
OH3GZ 4/23/2005

--
George Shaw MI3GTO / 2I0GTO

“ Any Sufficiently Advanced Technology
is Indistinguishable from Magic”
                          ---Arthur C. Clarke

Mobile: +44 (0) 7740 361 163
Primary Email: mi3gto at digipeater.net
Secondary Email: george.shaw at ukf.net
Web: http://www.digipeater.net
EchoLink & eQSO connected 24/7
Monitoring: 7.087.50 LSB 14.342.5/18.157.5/144.200.0/144.300.00 USB 24/7